Sunday, November 6, 2011

Day 12: Polkerris to Polperro

Probably the finest day of coastal walking I have ever done. The weather was incredible, cloudless deep blue skies and incredible views along the coast in both directions - past the Dodman and down the Lizard to the South West behind me, and in the direction I am walking, well past Rame Head and along the Devon Coast towards Salcombe.

After a late start from Polkerris, I walked briskly to the Gribben Head, reaching the tower built in 1832, and spotted a couple of days back from across the bay.  My photos on this blog can't do justice to the light and scenery all around me, it was stunning.  I walked on towards the Fowey estuary, past Menabilly and on to St. Catharine's castle, another built by Henry VIII, past Readymoney cove and into this most beautiful of Cornish towns. 











After grabbing a pasty to refuel, I caught the little passenger ferry across the river to Polruan, walking up the steep hill and on to the next 6 or so miles of my walk, along the coast path to Polperro.  My guide book says this section of the coast path is the finest between Falmouth and Exmouth, and although I am yet to walk some of that, it was indeed simply superb.  Fabulous bays, long climbs high above the sea and then descents back down, with beautiful autumnal colours everywhere under the deepest blue sky.  Just breathtaking.   Late in the day, fairly tired after the hills behind me, I turned the corner round into the sweet little fishing village of Polperro, with high spirits.  This was a day to remember.












No comments:

Post a Comment