Saturday, November 5, 2011

Day 11: Mevagissey to Polkerris

A fantastic day's walking, around 13 miles in lovely sunshine.   Left the harbour town of Mevagissey behind at 9am after a huge English breakfast, powering me up a series of ups and downs on my way to Black Head.  Met a dog walker at Pentewan who showed me an interesting Georgian terrace of houses, tucked just off the hilly path out of Pentewan, remnants of the era when Pentewan was a major china clay port in the 1800s.





Wandered on to Black Head, lovely walking, and great views across St. Austell bay and beyond, before reaching Charlestown around lunchtime, to the sound of gunpower and a pirate-themed wedding.   Popped in for a cup of tea with the parents of some old friends, then left Charlestown for my afternoon march towards Par and then Polkerris.  It's such a small world - along the coast at Par I bumped into an old boss from my days at Mercury Communications who I hadn't seen for 17 years - who himself lives in the US albeit is retiring to live in Cornwall.  A wise man.











Met up with some old friends on arrival at Polkerris, and proceeded to eat, drink and be merry until 2am.  All in all a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment