Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Day 15: Cremyll to Wembury (Warren Pt)

Woke up to the sound of rain spattering my window - foreshadowing my wettest day yet.  But it's still mild, and the shorts are good for a while yet I reckon.  Caught the 9am ferry from Cremyll across the short expanse of the Tamar to Plymouth, landing in the old naval area of Stonehouse, where I quickly passed the Royal William Yard and the Royal Marine barracks, with sheets of rain enthusiastically lashing down courtesy of a strong south easterly.  My morning was spent following the coast path around the inlets of Plymouth, past the ferry terminal where stars on a wall commemorate famous passengers of the past, past the Hoe and on to the Barbican area where plaques commemorate historic departures of explorers and colonists leaving Plymouth for the 'New England States', the Roanoke colonies (now North Carolina), Newfoundland, Australia and New Zealand. And we'd like our territories back please, we're a little short of cash!











Leaving the Barbican, the Plymouth shoreline quickly turned industrial and fairly unappealing, not flattered either by dark grey skies and continuous rain.  After a lazy lunch, with 8 miles down but about 8 to go, it was time to speed up, and I left Plymouth behind to rejoin more traditional coast path out towards Wembury and Warren Point, the crossing point (in season, which I am not) for the Yealm river.  Another mile and a half back from the ferry landing to my B&B and it had been a 17 mile, and very wet day.









Having done this leg, I've decided to take another break, and head back to London for a bit before resuming from the ferry landing at Noss Mayo in due course.... I may even shave off my coast path beard although I suppose it is Movember...

No comments:

Post a Comment