Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Day Eight: Falmouth to Portscatho

So today I started leg 2 of my 375 mile Land's End to Poole walk. The aim for this leg, 44 year old limbs and joints willing, is to reach the sunny 'English Riviera' town of Torquay in two weeks. Surprisingly like Monte Carlo I always thought, only the taxes are higher and the natives more distinguished. But I digress.

Set off this morning from Falmouth, rejuvenated after a week of restorative shin therapy in Barbados (definitely not Barnardo's as my iPhone would bizarrely have it). Caught the little ferry to St. Mawes - a big swell, which meant my next ferry across the Percuil river to Place wasn't running, so took road transport 8 miles round to gain my 500m across the river... And then off! Beautiful autumnal walking, past the Norman church at St. Anthony and then the lighthouse at St. Anthony Head, with great views back across to Falmouth and Pendennis castle. A gentle 7 mile opener, only encountering one other soul on the windswept coast path (I'm not the only dog-free November mad walker then?) and I eased into the beautiful Driftwood Hotel, nestled luxuriously above footprint-free Porthbean beach, in time for a cup of afternoon tea :) and a nice dinner. A good re-start!










No comments:

Post a Comment